* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
  • Calendar
  • It is currently Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hi from Meridian
    PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:24 pm 

Legion ID #: 0
    Name:
    Hi I'm Michael from Meridian. Looking forward to meeting the group and getting a costume put together for events. Any help or information is really appreciated. Thanks and see you soon in the Treasure Valley!

Post subject: Re: Hi from Meridian
    PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:38 pm 
    501st Active Member - Timberline

Legion ID #: 3037
    Name: Michael
    Welcome Michael.

Did you have a particular costume in mind?

If you have recruit access do check out the event section we have many coming up in the Treasure Valley.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:50 pm 

Legion ID #: 0
    Name:
    I'm looking to buy or build, Darth Vader, any Phase 1 or 2 Clone Trooper Armor, or Storm Trooper / Sand Trooper, Boba Fett, Emperor Guard, or Tie Fighter Pilot please.

What do you recommend to get me started with this group please? Thank you Michael
    :ct:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 pm 

Probably best bet would be to come to an event and help spot (help with those in costume), look at what things are ask questions.

501st costumes are organized by detachments. Each detachment specializes in certain types. The complete list can be found here:
    https://www.501st.com/members/displayUn ... etachments

They are a great place to research costumes. You list some of the more expensive ones in there so your budget and skill level (making your own stuff) are important to consider.

Happy to help if we can.

Last edited by ionicdesign on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 am 

Legion ID #: 38416
    Name:
    I recently finished a TIE pilot, if you have questions I can help as far as where I ordered pieces, costs, fitting, etc. I’ll be wearing it throughout the next several troops so I can show it. Message me if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 pm 

Legion ID #: 22031
    Name:
    Hi Michael! Are you the young man whose mom I was speaking to on our FB page? Definitely let us know if you have questions or need help narrowing down your choices for costumes. It's always hard to pick one to start! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 am 

Legion ID #: 10073
    Name:
    Hi Michael
    Like others have said volunteer to come out and spot I'm new to the area but been around in the 501/RL for awhile. I have built or built quite a wide range of costumes for myself and others so just ask, Myself and plenty of others are here to help.

I will say this based on your list, maybe narrow it down to 1 or 2 to focus on initially. Vader and Fett are two of the more difficult builds based on time and cost to get parts, some people spend years gathering all the pieces and these can cost several thousand dollars. Not trying to discourage you just letting you know up front. You can get new or used stormtrooper and tie pilot armor for a reasonable price so those might be a good choice to start out in. Again just ask and loads of us willing to help out.
    Welcome
    Gene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:00 pm 
    Garrison Executive Officer
    Garrison Executive Officer
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

Legion ID #: 92000
    Name: Matt
    Welcome.

Like Gene said, you'll want to narrow the list down to one or two, to start with. One thing about the level of costuming we're dealing with here, you'll want to understand there are three aspects to costuming: Time, Cost, Quality. You can only pick two. Top quality will cost lots of time to make it right, or you'll spend money to buy parts/kits/etc. to save time. There is no way around this issue. Vader and Boba are the hardest to get to standards and will generally cost quite a bit, even if you are trying to budget as best as you can.

If you want to go Boba, there is tons of help in the 501st, but you'll want to join the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club forum, as well as The Dented Helmet forum for tips, works in progress (WIPs), and more.

As suggested, you may want to come out to some events- fortunately, there are bunch coming up May 4th, and talk with some of the members, see the kits, get an understanding of what goes into them. It would really help narrow your scope a bit.

Costuming is a rabbit hole for tools, paints, glues, sewing, dealing with all sorts of materials. It's a fun hobby with tons to learn and experience.

Vader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:27 pm 
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

Legion ID #: 1430
    Name: Doug Atwood
    Welcome!
    Something I'll add to the great advice above is to consider your body type when choosing a costume. For example, I'm 5'5" tall, so Vader wouldn't be a great choice for me (there's no rule that says you can't be a short Vader, it's just not a great idea). Likewise, while it's possible to make Stormtrooper armor fit someone my height (I've done it twice now), it takes extra work. Conversely, someone who's 6'2" tall would be TOO tall for a Stormtrooper but Vader would be an EXCELLENT costume choice for that individual.

In addition, some costumes are more forgiving/comfortable than others. Stormtroopers/Clonetroopers have a pretty restrictive range of motion, and comfort isn't really in the vocabulary of your average TK (most of us stormtroopers can't sit down). TIE Pilot, Biker Scouts, etc are far more comfortable and flexible. If you're at all claustrophobic, a fully-enclosed helmet may not be the best choice. Mandos (Boba, Jango, etc) have a jetpack that can get heavy at long troops, and a Sandtrooper has a similar problem with the backpack (I can't wear mine anymore due to back/neck issues).

vindex wrote:
    If you want to go Boba, there is tons of help in the 501st, but you'll want to join the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club forum, as well as The Dented Helmet forum for tips, works in progress (WIPs), and more.

Don't forget the Bounty Hunters Guild, the 501st detachment for all things bounty hunters - http://thebhg.net/forum/index.php?/login/

To explain: As Ionic Design mentioned above, the 501st is divided into "detachments" for each costume - I call this kind of a "club-within-the-club" idea - where each detachment focuses on the costumes assigned to them. For example, the FISD (First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment) focuses on stormtroopers. The official detachment in the 501st for Boba, Jango, and other bounty hunters is the Bounty Hunters Guild (linked above). The Dented Helmet is an independent forum dedicated to building Boba, Jango, etc and is a wealth of info. The Mandalorian Mercs is a club that is 100% separate from the 501st Legion, has their own membership requirements, rules, etc. If your intent is to join the 501st with a Boba Fett costume, all of these can be incredible resources, BUT the costume approval requirements for 501st membership for Boba are managed by the Bounty Hunters Guild detachment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:46 pm 

Are you still with us Michael?

Good advise shared by all. A troop would be excellent to come and get a look at some stuff and see how things work.

We have several events coming up. Do have a look and come and help at some and we can answer questions and you can have a look at things in person.