PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:10 pm 
    Garrison Executive Officer
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

Legion ID #: 92000
    Name: Matt
    XO Approved message...

My daughter is participating in the GISHWES international scavenger hunt. She needs 5 Star Wars characters to "run" in a shopping mall video. She is working to see if she can do this in the Pine Ridge Mall, Pocatello, Thursday night around 6-6:30 PM. The scavenger hunt stuff is dropped short notice, so there is not time to go through the normal event request, hence this short notice.

I've also put this on the MMCC forum too. I should know tomorrow for certain on date/time, but wanted to get the word out ASAP.

Because there's "running" involved, I may go in my Mando, but if I get some things shaved on the calves/thighs, I might go in my Shadowtrooper. Will be a day of decision. My wife will be going in her Mando.

Vader

Post subject: Re: Possible Short Notice Event in Pocatello
    PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:58 am 
    Garrison Commanding Officer
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

Legion ID #: 3900
    Name:
    For those unfamiliar with the GISHWHES scavenger hunt, it is a yearly activity meant to encourage creative art, community service, forge new friendships, sprinkle joy randomly, and helps to raise money for a charity called Random Acts. Every year they include a Stormtrooper type item. This year there are a total of 3 Star Wars based challenges, only one specifically calling out Stormtroopers.

The 501st Legion tries to accommodate as many requests as possible to help the teams accomplish their tasks, but these requests come in all at once and by the hundreds. This year the tasks are:

#37 [PHOTO] No one talks about the fact that the destruction of the Death Star put thousands of Stormtroopers out of work. Luckily the Empire has a pretty robust social safety net and most of them have been retrained and placed in new jobs, the majority of which have been in the transportation sector. Let’s see a stormtrooper driving/flying a large passenger vehicle. Must be for mass transit, not just a car or a van. A subway, train, bus, ferry, plane, etc.

#116 - Not many people know this, but the Kessel Run was actually a foot race. Let’s see at least 5 Star Wars characters competing in the Kessel Run in a shopping mall.

#143 - Sure, most Stormtroopers toed the line, but back in the 1960s there were a few draft-dodging peacenik Stormtroopers. Find a famous vintage photo of a peace sit-in or Woodstock-level love-in and flawlessly photoshop in one or more Stormtroopers. We must think it’s the real thing. As an alternative, you can stage your own “peace” picture and submit an “aged” stormtrooper sit-in image. YES, YOU MAY PHOTOSHOP THIS ITEM!

The Legion has special email set up to help field requests: gishwhes@501st.com. We are actively helping with task #37. #143 is supposed to be photoshopped so we're encouraging teams to get creative with that one. #116 is any Star Wars character and not Stormtrooper specific.

If you're able to help out Matt's daughter, great! This won't be an event, just something fun to do to help out a fellow member's family. I have asked that mall security/management clear this activity so the troopers are welcome in the mall and safe.

Erin Atwood
    ID / TI / TK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:46 pm 
    501st Active Member - Timberline
    501st Active Member - Timberline
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

Legion ID #: 12116
    Name:
    I wouldn't be able to make it to Pokey at that time, but is there any chance we could alternately get a group to the IF mall instead?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:38 pm 
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

sillydiabetic wrote:
    I wouldn't be able to make it to Pokey at that time, but is there any chance we could alternately get a group to the IF mall instead?

It's up to you guys up there. She only needs the raw video, about 15 seconds worth, to make the video.

Vader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:00 pm 
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

Name:
    sillydiabetic wrote:

The Grand Teton Mall management sucks. I would be very surprised if they allowed us to do this.

Erin Atwood
    ID / TI / TK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm 
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

ondiv wrote:
    sillydiabetic wrote:

The Grand Teton Mall management sucks. I would be very surprised if they allowed us to do this.

She has not locked down Pine Ridge. If you guys can/want to do it,go for it. If not, I understand. It was very short notice and a very short event for all the effort that really goes into it.

Vader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:56 pm 
    Forum Supporter
    Forum Supporter

Name:
    The 501st Legion members have been asked to not participate (in a formal extent) with this challenge due to malls being consider retail locations.

However, if you have a friend who has a Stormtrooper costume who wants to help your daughter ask away ;)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Erin Atwood
    ID / TI / TK